Happy July, everybody!
Forget the fact that I've neglected this blog for over a year. We are celebrating 238 years of America on Friday! Now, 238 may not seem like the type of number we should make a big deal out of, but anytime you can celebrate one more year of being an independent country is a cause for rejoicing.
Hopefully you all have fantastic Independence Day plans. As for me, I have yet to hear a totally cohesive plan, but it sounds like parade in the morning and fireworks at night. Standard fare. The last few years, I've been able to spend most of the afternoon and evening with Andrew's family, which usually consists of a barbecue and a street-wide fireworks display (kids go crazy over this stuff). But alas, this year I am spending my 4th of July in a new place, which is code for new memories.
But before Friday comes rolling around, I have to back up and make some comments about what is going on in my life at the moment, starting with...well...where to start?
I'll see if I can sum up the last couple months so we can jump to present-day with haste.
In April, I was co-planning a graduation trip with my parents to South Carolina. It was only supposed to be a week or so. But when my uncle heard that the childcare center on the missionary base was looking for teachers, he threw that option into the hat. Two weeks, one application, several missed phone calls and an interview later, I found myself booking a one-way ticket to North Carolina just three days after I graduated college. Talk about a fast turnaround.
I have now been on the east coast for over a month, and it has been one of, if not the, wildest, strangest, and most rewarding decisions I have ever made. Although I don't think I can really say that I made the decision, because if I'm being honest, God was going to get me here one way or another whether I wanted to be here or not.
Before being here, I would never have imagined myself teaching three year olds every day for a week, let alone a whole summer. But despite my preconceived ideas and crazy notions, I absolutely love my munchkins and getting to teach them every day brings me unspeakable joy. They are such a delight. And it doesn't hurt that we spend every Friday at the pool throwing sponges at each other.
The other thing I absolutely adore about this job is the wonderful ladies I get to work with. This team of women is about the greatest thing since sliced bread. And sliced bread isn't actually all that exciting. So they're pretty much the most awesome thing ever. My partner who teaches the 4/5s is essentially my partner in crime...but a lot nicer. If we were a game of good cop/bad cop, she'd be the good cop. She's awesome. Her passion for the kids and the gentle spirit she exudes around, well, everyone, but especially the kids, is so evident it just makes my heart smile. I love working with people who shine Jesus. It's inspiring, and I praise God for them every day.
So now that I've spilled the beans about how much I love this job, let's get back to the present. Today, we made red white and blue paper chains in honor of our country's flag, and I made an even longer chain when I got home that I'm going to put up in the classroom tomorrow as decoration. Tomorrow, I'm hoping we can make some flags that they can wave during the parade on Friday (the center is closed that day in observance of this great holiday), and then Thursday is piñata & ice cream sandwich day! Ahhh, America. Thanks for giving me a reason to celebrate something with my littles.
And that about wraps up my Carolina adventures up until now. There have been a lot of little things along the way that have made it worthwhile and of course some frustrations, as there will always be. But to do what I love -- teaching little ones -- and being able to do it all while openly praising Jesus every day with those little ones, it just doesn't get any better than that.
No comments:
Post a Comment