I was on Pinterest today, browsing the humor section as I often do, when I came across a pin that was absolutely jaw-droppingly ridiculous.
"Guys, if your girl is ready in 5 minutes, she's probably poor."
What?
I don't know what's more ludicrous, the self-righteous attitude behind the statement or the multiple assumptions this statement makes. I'm not sure if the pin was supposed to be ironic or not, but my objection still stands.
Disclaimer: There's nothing wrong with a girl wanting to look nice, especially for her guy. There's also nothing wrong with wanting to look nice when you're going out. But to insinuate that women who can throw on some clothes and be ready to head out the door in a short amount of time are poor is insane.
I know plenty of women who by society's standards aren't "rich" and still look fabulous. Buying your clothes at Goodwill or Walmart doesn't always mean you're poor and it certainly doesn't make you fashion-challenged. Fashion-challenged doesn't exist. Your fashion is just that: Yours. Fashion-challenged is simply a term used by people who can't accept someone else's unique style.
Bottom line: Clothes don't make a woman. Makeup doesn't make a woman. Brand-name labels don't make a woman. The entire beauty industry might try to tell you they do, but they don't.
My response: Guys, if your girl is ready in 5 minutes, congratulations. You've got yourself a self-confident lady who knows who she is and isn't afraid to sport her individuality. Props.
No comments:
Post a Comment