Well folks, it's been nearly a year since I even touched this page. I've got a lot to catch up on, but there's no possible way to do it in one single post. This might be a really lame attempt on my part, but I'm gonna give it my best shot.
So first and foremost, since last August, I have left the world of smoothies and baked goods behind and ventured into new territory: balloons and packaged goods. No, I don't work birthday parties; rather, I help, well, create them. See, my parents are friends with a man who owns and manages not one, not two, but THREE different party stores (and soon to be four, actually). When I decided I had simply had enough of driving myself to Woodburn three and sometimes four times a week (and paying my dues in gas money!), my parents suggested that I talk to the owner of Party Mart, a certain Mr. Gray. They go to church together, a house church of maybe 100 or so people, and since my parents had caught wind that he was opening a new store in our neck of the woods, they thought it was in my best interest to talk to him and get my foot in the door. Their suggestion turned into a conversation, which turned into a job. So with a somewhat-guilty conscience, I closed the doors on Jamba and stepped into the world of helium balloons and color-coordination. We opened the store in February, and it has been, by far, the coolest and most rewarding job I've ever had. I honestly cannot say enough about my coworkers, the environment, or even the customers. And the boss/owner -- he's phenomenal. I have never been happier in a working environment. Sure, we have some lousy days with demanding customers and fast-paced sales, but honestly, it's so worth it.
With that said, things are about to get even crazier. Corban starts back in just over a month, and I'm not sure whether to be terrified or stoked. I've signed myself up for 17 credits, which, unless you're a music major, is just insanity. And total props to all you who ARE music majors, because let's face it -- you have a tough go of it. But as far as elementary education goes as a major, 17 credits is kind of a nightmare. Fortunately, it puts me in sight of a 12-credit spring, which, when combined with student teaching for who knows how many hours, is a welcome reprieve. When faced with this situation, I'm okay toughing it out for a few months for the reward of clearing my plate on the next go-round. That is, as long as no one tries to shove CCS credits down my throat. :)
In other exciting news, Dad and I have officially booked our trip to Disneyland, set to happen right before I go back to school. I'm not sure how to classify this trip. When I was five, my parents deposited me at my grandparents house for a week while they took my brothers to "The Happiest Place On Earth". So I'm not really sure if this is an "I'm-sorry-we-didn't-take-you-to-Disneyland-when-you-were-five" outing or an "I-really-want-to-let-you-experience-something-you-missed-out-on-during-childhood" or even just a "Let's-go-on-a-wild-but-awesome-trip-right-before-school-so-your-summer-isn't-a-total-dud" trip. Either way, it's DISNEYLAND. I mean, yeah, I may be in college, but come on, no matter if you're five or fifty, Disneyland is still pretty freaking exciting. That's some serious daddy-daughter time. Although I'm not so in love with the whole Vegas layover thing, but I'll get over it.
Well I think that about covers it! I'm sure there's lots more to talk about, but for now I have some previous obligations to attend to.
Until next time, mon amis!
2 comments:
Music majors for the win! ;)
Post a Comment